Ghana Football Association (GFA) President Kurt Okraku has explained that the betterment of the nation was the utmost priority in taking the huge decision to cancel the football season.
After months of uncertainty, the GFA took the final decision to cancel the 2019/20 season due to coronavirus, which has so far claimed 129 lives in Ghana.
The decision was announced last week following an Executive Council meeting which lasted for over seven hours, according to local media reports.
The GFA said all records associated with the season have been expunged with no demotion and promotion.
“We have 18 clubs in the Premier League with minimum players of 30 each, coaches, administrators, 48 clubs in division one, medical staff, women premier league. We also have division two’s, three and juvenile football at the regional level.
“We are talking about a large chunk of people who wholly rely on football as a source of living. We also serve as entertainment to people at the social aspect and people also use our platforms as a source of living,” Kurt Okraku said as reported by footballghana.com.
“So it is a huge decision that we had to take but we thought Ghana first obviously whiles we continue to engage our key stakeholder to ensure that we bring back football.”
In cancelling the season, the Executive Council decided that per the relevant provisions of the CAF inter-club football Regulations, Asante Kotoko and AshGold will represent Ghana in the CAF Champions League and the Confederations Cup respectively for next season.
The Executive Council is expected to meet on Thursday, July 9, 2020, to discuss all issues relating to the next football season and Congress.